CONFLICT MANAGEMENT Licenced Premises Industry
Working in licensed premises like bars, nightclubs and pubs poses unique challenges when dealing with confrontational patrons. Employees often face verbal harassment, aggressive behaviour, threats, and even physical violence from intoxicated, angry, or unreasonable customers.
This hostile environment takes a significant toll on staff wellbeing and morale, often leading to burnout, absenteeism, and high turnover. It also negatively impacts businesses through lost productivity, legal/liability costs, and reputational damage.
Some key conflicts staff contend with include:
- Intoxicated patrons refusing to pay tabs or leave at closing time.
- Customers becoming belligerent after being cut-off from more alcohol.
- Hostile interactions when asking for ID or enforcing venue rules.
- Patrons making sexual advances or harassing other guests.
- Escalating tensions between groups of customers.
- Arguments over seating, noise, sports team affiliations etc. Potential
- Potential violence requiring security intervention.
Dealing with these confrontational situations, often late at night, places huge stress on hospitality staff. Without proper training, employees may lack the skills to defuse tensions and avoid conflicts escalating into more serious incidents.
This course equips licensed premises staff with vital conflict management and communication techniques to confidently handle difficult patrons. Employees will gain strategies to defuse aggression, mediate disputes, and create safer venues.
The purpose of this intensive 1-day conflict management course is to equip licensed premises staff with the skills to handle confrontational and aggressive patrons.
The practical conflict resolution, mediation, and communication skills covered will empower staff to take control of challenging interactions. They will gain confidence in managing aggressive customers, defusing tensions, and preventing disputes from escalating into more serious physical confrontation or violence.
The outcome is a safer venue environment that reduces staff stress and turnover, confrontation-related incidents, liability risks, and lost revenue from problematic patrons.
The conflict management training will use engaging, interactive methods to maximise hands-on learning. Employees will be encouraged to actively participate through discussions, role-plays, and exercises to embed new skills.
The relaxed yet focused environment allows for sharing experiences and perspectives from learners’ real-world contexts. The trainer facilitates in an informal, open style using relevant licensed venue case studies.
A variety of interactive methods will put concepts into practice through realistic scenarios:
- Roleplays to practice defusing aggressive punters and enforcing policies. Employees receive coaching and feedback.
- Small group work to brainstorm strategies, share experiences, and develop teamwork.
- Self-reflection to increase self-awareness and integrate techniques.
- Case analyses of workplace incidents to deepen understanding of risks and decisions.
- Skills demonstrations by the trainer provide modelling before attempts.
- Discussions and Q&A encouraged throughout.
These engaging methods aim to motivate staff and build lasting capabilities, not just communicate information. Employees will gain hands-on experience with core techniques to manage confrontations and feel confident applying them at work.
- Recognise early warning signs of escalating aggression through body language and verbal cues.
- Employ de-escalation techniques like active listening, empathy and positive communication.
- Assess threats to determine risks and appropriate responses.
- Apply verbal and non-verbal skills to diffuse tension and manage hostile patrons.
- Make sound judgements on when to involve security or police.
- Protect personal safety and the safety of others in volatile situations.
- Utilise incident reporting to provide detailed accounts and identify risks.
- Build confidence in defusing confrontational situations and managing challenging patrons.
- Develop competence in mediating disputes and achieving constructive solutions.
- Gain strategies to enforce venue policies while maintaining control.
- Increase resilience and lower stress when dealing with aggressive behaviour.
- Foster a safer, more positive environment for staff and patrons.
Conflict Management Licenced Premises Industry
Download a copy of the training program